Thursday, July 2, 2009

Showing Where the Sun Don't Shine


"Tastefully done." What do you think of when you hear that phrase?

During my blogging hiatus, I had the privilege of getting lottery tickets (meaning you enter your name into a bucket and if it's picked, you get to buy decent seats to a show for approximately $25) to the 2009 Tony Award-winning Best Musical Revival: Hair. Now, I've seen a few productions of this show over the years. And honestly, I never really "got it." Of course, I understand the overall theme of the show because, well, you can't really miss that. But, it always seemed like there was a problem in the execution. Obviously, I wasn't around for the original Broadway outing, and I'm sure it was truly important for that time. However, I never felt like it had as much relevance in the modern day because of the disjointed storytelling (I'm sure this had nothing to do with the writers enjoying a few herbal refreshments from time to time). So, I filed it under "period piece" and moved on. Until I saw this production. The brilliant direction, that involves the audience in the experience, instead of "putting on a hippie show" for them, makes this show succeed in message and entertainment. That, and the phenomenally talented cast who embraced their roles and the audience with the same passion and excitement. I truly loved this show.
But, what about the nude scene? You know, the infamous part of the play where the Tribe strips off their patchouli-soaked garb and frees themselves for the audience. Well, at this point, most of the audience goes from "Claude seems so conflicted" to "Hey Look. Boobies." Bear in mind, we don't want to do that. We are seasoned theatre-goers. We've seen Shakespeare in the Round and Sondheim in the Square. We are mature individuals who, for the most part, have seen naked humans before. But, we try to look away, then we find ourselves staring, and then it becomes this crazy game of "Where do I look? Do they want me to look? Am I supposed to look?"

Look, in all honesty, the scene lasts about 20 seconds, in discrete lighting, and it creates a powerful paradox about rebellion and unity. I raise this point because it is, and has been, the single greatest discussion about the show. The nude scene. Why is that? Especially these days, have we not been jaded regarding nudity, considering it's in damn near any movie nominated for an Oscar? The short answer, I think, is, we don't see people walking naked down the street every day, so it definitely breaks convention to see birthday suits in public places, including the theatre. So, it brings out the adolescent in us for a moment.

I guess it's in the presentation. I was in a play where I had to bear all and I was never sure if it was an integral part of the storytelling. But, I did it anyway (Sorry you missed that? Yeah, I didn't think so). This was an interesting(?) play about love and defying death, but what was the first comment after the show? "So....balls out, huh?" I guess it can become a distraction.

The point is, I understand the PR of peddling this "suggestive" angle of the show to media outlets because of that one moment. It may sell tickets. And as they say, "Sex Sells." But, this scene isn't about sex. At all. And, ultimately, it shouldn't define this show.

Now, if you're doing "Showgirls: The Musical," the marketing writes itself. "Come see boobies and sex....and singing!"

1 comment: